Viking set to welcome American guests to Europe in summer 2021
LOS ANGELES, June 18, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Viking® (www.viking.com) today welcomed the return of the Americans in a Europe. The 27 countries of the European Union have reached an agreement to re-allow travelers from United States in a vote earlier today, a long-awaited decision that complements the CDC’s recent announcement that it has relaxed travel recommendations for 110 countries and territories. As part of the new recommendations, the CDC specifically classified Iceland and Malta, two key destinations for Viking’s Happy to see you again trips, which are offered exclusively to vaccinated passengers – as “level 1” or lower for COVID-19 risk. In recognition of these developments, Viking has also released a new video message from the President. Torstein Hagen, which can be found here.
Viking successfully restarted operations in May and is sailing the UK with British guests since May 22. Almost 100 percent of the guests on these crossings provided exceptionally high ratings. Earlier this week, the June 15, the company welcomed its first American guests on board at Bermuda for the first of eight crossings of Bermuda Getaway. Over the next month, Viking will launch Happy to see you again navigations around Iceland and in the Mediterranean – and will restart its European river operations with routes selected in Portugal, France and along the Rhine.
“We applaud the European Union and the CDC for their thoughtful actions encouraging international travel while making public health a top priority,” said Torstein Hagen, president of Viking. “Our guests are seasoned travelers eager to once again explore the world in comfort. It has been a pleasure to once again welcome guests aboard England and Bermuda over the past few weeks, and we can now look forward to the return of our American guests Europe this summer.”
With space selling fast, there are still limited dates available in summer and early fall 2021. Viking’s Happy to see you again The collection includes:
Ocean departures – Trips starting in June 2021
- Malta & Jewels of the Adriatic (11 days; Valletta at Valletta; Croatia, Montenegro & Malta) – Discover Malta millennia of history and visit ancient UNESCO sites. To explore Croatia captivating coastline and some of the iconic great cities of Antiquity. Walk through the majestic city walls of Dubrovnik and visit Diocletian’s Palace. Or immerse yourself in nature and the great outdoors on a visit to Krka National Park. Join us on a fascinating journey observing rolling landscapes and ancient architectural treasures along the shores of the Adriatic. Several sailing dates from July to October 2021.
- Malta & the western Mediterranean (11 days; Valletta at Valletta; Italy, Spain & Malta) – Cruise through the historic and heritage waters of the Western Mediterranean on a 10-night round-trip trip from Valletta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You will discover the magnificent Amalfi coast elegant Naples, gateway to Pompeii, and visit Messina, Sicily cultural crossroads. See the historic sites of the old Rome and immerse yourself in the art and architecture of Tuscany Florence and Catalan Barcelona on your unforgettable trip. Several sailing dates in September and October 2021.
- Malta & Discovery of the Greek islands (11 days; Valletta at Valletta; Greece & Malta) – Immerse yourself in the ancient world as you learn about the first empires of the Mediterranean and the Aegean. Visit historic UNESCO World Heritage sites, such as the Maltese capital of Valletta and the Palace of the Grand Masters of Rhodes. Enjoy a spectacular view of the Parthenon in Athens, discover the mysteries of the Minoans on Crete and admire the white facades and azure domes of the villages perched on the cliffs of Santorini on this enchanting journey through the centuries. Several sailing dates from July to September 2021.
- iceland Natural beauty (11 days; Reykjavík at Reykjavík) – Discover iceland majestic shores while exploring the coastal towns of this northern island. Discover unparalleled natural beauty and admire cascading waterfalls amid pristine fjord landscapes. Discover Viking heritage as you follow in the footsteps of an intrepid explorer Leif Eriksson. Or observe the wealth of wildlife, from puffins to gentle sea giants. Join us for a truly immersive experience that brings you closer to nature and all its splendor. Several sailing dates from July to September 2021.
- Bermuda Getaway (8 days; Hamilton to Hamilton) – Discover the colonial history and natural beauty of the subtropical island of Bermuda. Explore the cobbled streets and colorful facades of Saint Georges, the oldest settlement in the New World and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Enjoy a sunset catamaran cruise as you cruise the shores of Bermuda superb berries. Play a round of golf or relax and soak up the sun on the pink sands of one of the Bermuda famous beaches. Several sailing dates from June to August 2021.
River departures – Journeys starting in July 2021
- Getaway on the Rhine (8 days; Amsterdam at Basel) – Explore one of the Europe most beloved rivers, the Rhine. Discover the turreted fortresses, grand cathedrals, historic towns, medieval towns and spectacular scenery of the Middle Rhine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Taste the region’s renowned white wines, the roots of its terraced vineyards dating back to Roman times. Savor the different Alsatian culinary traditions. Of Amsterdam and Cologne at Basel, this trip reveals a landscape rich in beauty and culture. Several sailing dates from July to december 2021.
- from Portugal River of gold (10 days; Lisbon at Port) – Experience the rebirth of Lisbon, newly invigorated with galleries and trendy restaurants. Explore two of the oldest university towns in Iberia: Coimbra, Portugal and Salamanca, Spain. Browse the port warehouses of Port. Enjoy traditional cuisine, wine and fado songs. Cruise through the Douro River Valley, the world’s oldest demarcated wine region and a UNESCO site. Our 10 day cruise includes a hotel stay in Lisbon and the added bonus of a visit to Spain. Several sailing dates from July to October 2021.
- Paris & the Heart of Normandy (8 days; Paris in Rouen at Paris) – Explore Giverny and visit the beautiful gardens and the charming farm where Claude Monet lived and worked, the setting that inspired many of his masterpieces. In the footsteps of Joan of Arc in Rouen. Stroll through sacred ground at the Normandy American Military Cemetery and WWII beaches. Savor Norman cuisine. This 8-day cruise along the Seine celebrates history, art, gastronomy and customs in the country’s most dazzling urban and pastoral settings. Several sailing dates from July to december 2021.
- Lyon & Provence (8 days; Avignon to Lyonnais) – Tap into your indoor van Gogh during a painting class in Arles. Discover Roman Provence at the amphitheater of the Arena and at the Pont du Gard. Explore the Avignon Palace of the Popes. Excite your palate in Lyonnais, capital of French gastronomy. Savor Beaujolais wines. Hunt for truffles and find out how goat cheese is made. Come witness the beauty that inspired artists like Cézanne and Chagall on this 8-day cruise in the Rhône. Several sailing dates from July to November 2021.
- from France Better (15 days; Paris to Avignon) – Pay homage to the Normandy beaches of WWII. Walk in the footsteps of Joan of Arc in Rouen. Bask in that of Paris sophistication. Flavor that of Lyon culinary heritage. Grill the Beaujolais vines. Explore the Avignon Palace of the Popes. Celebrate the Provençal art of living. Art, cuisine, style, joie de vivre, if you love everything French, this is for you: a 15-day trip that combines our popular Paris & Heart of Normandy and Lyon & Provence cruises in one tour de force. Several sailing dates in August and September 2021.
Those who sail Happy to see you again trips will also experience Viking’s advanced health and safety program. Based on scientific research, the Viking Health & Safety program has been developed in partnership with an international team of medical advisors, including Raquel C. Bono, MD, Chief Medical Officer of Viking. Dr. Bono is a certified trauma surgeon and retired Vice Admiral of the United States Navy Medical Corps, and recently headed from Washington State response of medical and health systems to the COVID-19 pandemic. Using a full-scale laboratory installed on every Viking ocean-going vessel and a strong network of dedicated on-shore Viking river-vessel laboratories in Europe, all guests and crew will receive quick and easy non-invasive saliva PCR tests. New air purification technology has also been installed on all Viking ships, which have always been fitted with independent air handling units for all guest cabins. And additional health checks, disinfection and physical distancing measures will provide additional protection for guests and Viking crew at all points of the journey. A complete overview of the Viking Health & Safety program is available at: www.viking.com/health-safety.
Limited spaces are still available for the 2021 summer cruises. Call Viking toll free at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464) or contact a travel agent.
Viking was founded in 1997 and offers destination-oriented trips to rivers, oceans and lakes around the world. Designed for seasoned travelers interested in science, history, culture and cuisine, Chairman Torstein Hagen It is often said that Viking offers The Thinking Person’s Cruise® to their customers, unlike traditional cruises. During its first five years of operation, Viking was ranked the premier ocean cruise line in Travel + Leisure‘s 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 “World’s Best” Awards. In addition to Travel + Leisure honors, Viking has also been repeatedly honored on Condé Nast Traveler‘s “Gold List” as well as recognized by Cruise Critic as “Best Midsize Vessel” at the Cruisers’ Choice Awards 2018, “Best River Cruise Line” and “Best River Routes”, with the entire Viking Longships® fleet being named “Best New River Ships” in the website’s Editors’ Picks Awards. For more information, contact Viking at 1-800-2-VIKING (1-800-284-5464) or visit www.viking.com. For Viking’s award-winning enrichment channel, visit www.viking.tv.