Israeli PM makes deal for settlers to leave West Bank outpost, World News
The Israeli government made a deal for Jewish settlers to leave an illegal West Bank outpost.
Several weeks ago, dozens of settler families began building the wilderness settlement of Eviatar in defiance of international and Israeli laws. This sparked protests from Palestinians in neighboring villages.
Palestinians harassed settlers by burning car tires, sounding horns and pointing laser beams at them, sparking deadly clashes with Israeli security forces.
The hilltop area where settlers established their caravan and tent settlement is near Nablus in the West Bank, which is Palestinian territory occupied by Israel since 1967.
According to AFP information, the settlers will leave on Friday at 4:00 p.m. (1:00 p.m. GMT). However, their temporary homes will remain and the IDF will establish a presence in the region.
Read also | US lifts sanctions on three Iranians, says they have nothing to do with nuclear talks
Palestinians in the nearby village of Beita have rejected any option other than a permanent evacuation of settlers.
“This agreement was made between the settlers and the army and we have nothing to do with it,” deputy mayor of Beita, Mussa Hamayel, told AFP.
“Obviously, as long as a settler or soldier remains on our lands, clashes and protests will continue.”
All Jewish settlements in the West Bank are considered “illegal” by most of the international community. However, settlement expansion has proliferated in recent years, with 475,000 Jewish Israelis now living in the West Bank alongside an estimated 2.8 million Palestinians.
So far, four Palestinians have been killed by Israeli troops in the unrest over Eviatar.
Further pressures may emerge as settlers fret for a return to the site, where they have paved asphalt roads and connected around 50 trailers to electricity and plumbing within a week.